Thursday, December 3, 2009

Recipe for a Room ~ Step 5

Step 5* Accessories and Lighting : When it comes to Accessories, " Less is More." I love to find special things like these two antique books that I got at a local antique store. The top one is a old school book and it belong to a boy named , " Henry Osborne". It will make your heart stop to see how carefully Henry wrote his name , address, age and the letters and numbers that he knew. This kind of accessory has a story to tell. I also put out a picture of my grandparents, with my grandma's watch and a wedding ring that my grandpa had made himself .

The lamps came from a trade I made with a friend . . . remember the great deal I found on those "Aidan Gray" lamps for my living room? How I tried to make those work, but they were just too tall, so I traded them for these, also "Aidan Gray" lamps. They were lost in my living room, but perfect here. The only new thing I bought were these two concrete birds, love them! $30

I saw some botanical that I wanted for my room, but they cost $200 each, so I made my own. I have $110 in all six. I had my mother write famous quotes on each one. I added my own quote to this one , just for fun. It was perfect for this framed" weed". Those that take the time to notice, get a laugh at me , right there with all the greats, Churchill, Goethe, Thoreau . . .


I got this painting at a consignment store ! It is a oil painting that had the "feel "that I wanted. I made a promise to myself awhile back, that I would only bring "real" art into my home from now on. $35




This is the light that will be going in the room as soon as my husband gets in the mood. It's from Ballard Designs, $135 , I got it in the cream color.
This is the end of my recipe!!!! I am sure some of you are glad. I was getting a bit bored with it myself. I will do the "Bed" post next.
Thanks for all the sweet comments, everyone has been so kind.



16 comments:

  1. * It's ALL SOOO PRETTY, and I'm so glad you shared everything with us! KUDOS again, sweet friend!

    Now what I would LIKE to ask is, "What was the quote YOU wrote"???????

    Love n' holiday hugs,
    Linda *

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One doesn't need much in this life... his spirit, some laughter and just a few posies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to learning more about your headboard:0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the accessories you brought into this room. That artwork is beautiful and has a serenity about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darnit, I'm going to have to get some posies now !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really important, choosing a few, meaningful pieces to display that express what you really speak your language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accesorizing is my greatest challenge, I think. I probably overdo it, but when I don't, I feel like it is too plain. I love your accesories, they are perfect and what a gorgeous light fixture and lamp, your room is perfectly beautiful. Hugs, Cindy S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for taking the time to share your process! You created such a lovely room. -Diane (ps, sorry for my stressed-out rant the other day, what was going on there??)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicki,

    I love this idea of a recipe for a room. I didn't think it was boring at all. Quite the contrary. I love seeing how others go about the madness that is decorating. Thank you for showing us how you "cook."

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicky, this has been great. I agree about the art. If I can't find "real" art, I'll use a special photograph or a mirror.
    Thanks for all of this.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG
    What is that marvelous chair thingy in the first picture? I love it. The wood is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. juju, it is a set of steps. I was staging a house and the lady had no where to put it...so I helped her out and put it in my SUV. FREE! I'm very nice like that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really? I love it! What a marvelous serendipitous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love that chair/steps, and free is such a fun word. The botanicals are great looking, the light, super, you do a great job kiddo. I am a home stager as well in the Buffalo area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Browsed your previous postS and my oh my; you outdid yourself Ms. Vicky. So much work, so much talent!!!!!!! LOVE IT ALL!!!!!!!
    Hugs, hugs, hugs -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete